4/20/18: This position is now filled
The Austin Thought Lab at the University of Texas at Austin is seeking a full-time lab manager/coordinator to start in August 2018. Under the direction of Katharine Tillman, the lab studies interactions between language, perception, and culture in the mind, including how young children acquire abstract concepts that go beyond what they can directly observe in the world. This position involves coordinating data collection and subject recruitment, designing and running studies with children and adults, developing and maintaining administrative systems, supervising undergraduate research assistants, scheduling and record-keeping, maintaining study protocols and communicating with the Institutional Review Board, community outreach online and in person, and more. The lab coordinator will also have opportunities to conduct their own projects, and to be involved with conference presentations and journal articles. This position is particularly appropriate to candidates hoping to increase their research training prior to applying to graduate school.
- Bachelor's degree in cognitive science, psychology, linguistics, computer science, or a related field.
- Previous research experience
- Experience and comfort communicating with children (2 – 10 years old), families, and other members of the community
- Ability to write clearly for any audience
- Ability to get tasks done efficiently and independently, and to show initiative in doing so
- Organized and detail-oriented
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Experience with research methods in developmental science
- Experience with Qualtrics and/or Amazon Mechanical Turk
- Statistical knowledge
- Experience with or interest in open science best practices (e.g., version control and data sharing with Git/Github; study pre-registration on Open Science Framework; writing reproducible research reports in RMarkdown)
- Experience with audio/video editing programs
- Ability to speak multiple languages
For more information, please contact email@example.com; to apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 2 references.